Fall brings about a new season of change—crisp weather, warm layers and of course new looks to try. We’re ready to shake up our everyday hairstyles and cuts with fresh inspiration. We asked our expert Aveda Artists Ricardo Dinis, Global Artistic Director of Haircutting, Renee Gadar, Global Artistic Director of Texture, and Bea Carmichael, Global Educator of Styling, to share the hairstyle trends they’re loving for fall, along with their go-to styling tools to achieve each one.
The ultimate styling essentials
Before we dive into the best hairstyles for fall, it’s important to make sure you have the right styling tools to help perfect each look. We rounded up our top high-performance hair styling products, beloved by Aveda Artists.
1) be curly™ curl enhancer - Formulated for wavy, curly and coily hair, our 96% naturally derived* curl enhancer helps create gorgeous, defined curls. It contains wheat protein and organic aloe, which expands when hair is wet and retracts when hair is dry to help intensify your wave, curl or coil.
2) thickening tonic - Our Artists love to use this product to help thicken hair for any style. It instantly expands strands from roots to ends. Certified organic amla fruit and wheat boost hair thickening, while corn helps hold your fuller style.
3) volumizing tonic™ - Our best seller helps create maximum volume for fine to medium hair, adding a confidence boost to your look. We created this product with certified organic aloe and wheat amino acids to help build body and while adding shine.
4) nutriplenish™ leave-in conditioner and nutriplenish™ multi-use hair oil - This hyper hydrating hair care duo is from our 94% naturally derived* nutriplenish™ collection. This collection is essential for all hair types and textures, fueled by superfood infused formulas to help replenish hair. The 98% naturally derived* nutriplenish leave-in conditioner™ offers lightweight, yet buildable, hair hydration. It hydrates for up to 72 hours, while protecting it from the drying effects of the sun and heat styling up to 450 degrees. Created with 5 power oils, the 100% naturally derived* nutriplenish™ multi-use hair oil is a super-product that offers nutrient-powered hydration for multiple uses, including adding major shine post-styling.
5) damage remedy™ daily hair repair - 98% naturally derived,* this is the leave-in treatment our Aveda Artists use to instantly visibly repair and protect hair from heat styling. It helps reduce breakage by 90% in just 1 week.**
6) air control™ light hold hairspray - Because of it’s flexible, lasting hold for all hair types, our Artists love to use air control™ as their go-to styling hairspray. It sprays on dry, helps eliminate static and has a net-zero impact*** on the Earth's climate.
Our favorite fall hair trends
Now that you know which tools to stock up on, let’s discover some of the season’s coolest hair styles.
Ricardo Dinis tells us that the bob, in all textures, will be a strong trend for both short hair styles and long hair styles this fall. “Blunt, layered, asymmetric, parted down the center, with and without a fringe, will all be popular,” he says. Ricardo loves bob hair cuts because anyone can wear them. “Bobs are the hair cuts that can be tailored to fit any face and are incredibly versatile when,” he tells us. Head to your local Aveda hair salon to get this new trending hair cut.
“The key to a great style after a cut is to use a great moisturizing shampoo and conditioner,” Ricardo says, which is why he recommends the shampoos and conditioners in our nutriplenish™ collection.
Here’s Ricardo’s how-to for styling a sleek bob:
2) Apply nutriplenish™ leave-in conditioner to mid lengths and ends.
3) For added fullness apply thickening tonic to the roots and ends.
4) Find your natural part and comb your hair the way the haircut naturally falls. Comb your fingers through your hair as you blow dry, until you have removed most of the moisture.
5) Then section off the top part of your hair with a clip, and begin using a brush to blow dry small sections, starting with the layers underneath.
6) Once you finish the bottom part of that hair, unclip the top and blow dry hair in small sections.
7) Keep the setting on medium to high heat and ensure the airflow is mirroring the direction of the brush. Once hair is dry, use a flatiron to further smooth hair.
8) “Finish by dispensing 2 drops of nutriplenish™ multi-use hair oil in your hands, and apply to the hair for a silky finish,” Ricardo says.
THE DEEP SIDE PART
Bea Carmichael loves the deep side part for fall. “It’s simple to do and gives you a put-together look when you haven’t tried too hard!” Bea tells us. “It's perfect for Zoom calls if you're working from home—or you can lead the fall trend when you head back to the office.”
Here’s how Bea creates a deep side part:
2) Use a rat tail comb to create a deep side part on one side of your head.
3) Apply be curly™ curl enhancer through mid lengths and ends and scrunch in. Then use a wide-tooth comb to comb through.
4) Apply air control™ light hold hairspray close to the head, around the sides of your part, and top of your head. Use a fine-tooth comb to sculpt your look, and then diffuse dry on high heat, low speed.
5) When hair is completely dry add a few drops of nutriplenish™ multi-use hair oil to the palm of your hands and rub together to warm the oil. This will add shine, and define the curl.
THE TOUSLED BLOW OUT
“Blowouts are great for those with textured hair when it starts to get cool out,” Reneé Gadar tells us. “You’re not sweating out the style quickly, and it decreases the desire to go in and re-press hair in between cleanses, which helps mitigate heat damage.” Plus, this breezy style always looks effortless and chic.
Here’s Reneé’s guide for achieving the tousled blow out:
2) Next, spray hair with nutriplenish™ leave-in conditioner.
3) Part hair into 7 or 8 sections. Add 1 to 2 drops of dry remedy™ daily moisturizing oil to each section and placeinto small buns.
4) For those with 2a-4a hair types, start from the back of the head and begin blow drying hair with a flat, oval multi-bristle brush. Use the high heat, high air setting. Once a section is finished, place back into a bun and move to your next section.
5) For those with 4b-4c hair types, start from the front and begin blow drying hair with a flat, oval multi-bristle brush. Use the high heat, high air setting. Once a section is finished, place back into a bun and move to your next section.
6) Allow 5 minutes for the last section to cool in its bun.
7) Release all buns.
8) If needed, use a flat iron to create additional smoothness and add a bit of curl.
SHOP THE STORY
*From plants, non-petroleum minerals or water.
**When used daily, in a repeat grooming study vs non-conditioning shampoo.
***Aveda funds renewable wind energy to offset the CO2 associated with the manufacturing, transportation and use of air control™ to help ensure it has a net-zero impact on the Earth's climate. The majority of our offsets fund future wind energy over time.